Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Running Club.....Why did I quit you?

Lonestar's lyrics have been swimming around my mind lately as people from all over the world flooded the big apple to participate in a little thing called.......the NYC Marathon. It all sounds amazing- the route- you run through all five burroughs- the crazy energy- literally thousands of people cheering you on- the accomplishment- I mean 26 miles! It plays with my emotions and makes me say, "Can I go ahead and sign up for next year?!!" And that's where I remember, 26 miles. Reality sinks in as I tell myself, "Michelle, you can only run between 2 and 3." Then I reminisce about the 9 year old version of myself and a little thing called.........running club.

Running Club was invented at Jackson Academy in the early 90s to create an easy before and after school program for kids to get more exercise and moms to have more time in their day. I saw it as this amazing opportunity for another hobby besides my stellar rock collection. Day one....the adrenaline kicked in and I was hooked. I wanted to get dropped off every morning before school and stay after to run my little heart out. And that is exactly what I did. Oh, I ran 181 miles that year, set a school record, and had a plaque with my name on it. And yes, I was 9 years old. This victory inspired me to enter into the Mississippi Track Club and compete in quite a few fun runs around the Metro-Jackson area, collecting various trophies, ribbons, and t-shirts (naturally, the real prize and proof that you're an all-star). "Impressive, you must have been so fast," you may be thinking to yourself. No, not really. Shockingly, there wasn't a lot of competition among the 9 year old crowd. Unless you count my arch nemesis (later turned best friend) Sandra- she started gaining on me towards the end of my career. But I was in love. I even remember thinking as I watched a Miss America Pageant that year that- not if- but when I entered (when I was old enough) - what would my talent be? The lightbulb went off as I realized- "I know! I will ask them to install a track around the audience while I run a mile. Brilliant! I bet no one has even thought to do that before!"

So what happened next? For reasons unknown I said goodbye to the track. I toyed around with Cross Country in junior high and high school, but I never quite attained the same glory as I did back in 3rd grade. If only I had stayed with it, I would be a freckled 5'3" girl running with the Kenyans now. If only! For now, I think I'll stick with my two-mile loop by the Hudson and keep saying hi to Lady Liberty. Alas, "I try not to think about what might have been, cause that was then and I have taken a different road, can't go back again, there's no use giving in, and there's no way to know......what might have been."

No comments:

Post a Comment