Monday, November 8, 2010

"If I can make it there, I'll make it any where"

Can't help but wonder if ole Frank had the New York winter in mind when he composed this catchy lyric. It began with the soft "tink tink" on my window unit, which became slightly more prominent with the howling wind outside. Oh yes, this noise was the byproduct of sleet- which this Mississippi girl has had her fair share of. Even though the temperature said it was around 40, I adamantly disagree and think it was much cooler. It's not so bad when your distance is from the front door to the car, but when you walk a mile to your destination, well, it changes things. I take back everything I ignorantly said in thinking it wouldn't be that bad or that much different that Georgia. The wind adds a lot- I halfway expected to see potential nannies fly by on their umbrellas. Even though it is around day one for winter here, I've discovered some valuable takeaways, if you will.

1. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I need to purchase a puffy coat and thereby adding around 50 pounds to my frame and looking like a giant marshmallow. Warmth is victorious over fashion. I even find myself pondering if I could somehow make a ski mask cute.
2. There is an art form to holding the umbrella the right way in the wind and horizontal rain. You may forgo your vision to feet only, but hey, if it keeps it from popping inside out, another victory.
3. My dog fever is subsiding. Sure everyone here seems to have this adorable "best friend" but the notion of waking up at 6 to walk it outside in this weather is well, confirming I'm not responsible enough yet. (Still hadn't worked through the idea of carrying the plastic baggies yet either).
4. I'm hopeful that my ears will continue to adjust to the interesting noises that the radiator supplies. It starts off with a lovely hissing noise from the top which resembles a steam engine. Then it moves on to the sound of someone throwing gold chains down a lead pipe. It does this whenever someone in my building turns on their heat. Awesome.

Despite a few setbacks, the idea of ice skating and snow are magical enough to make me not complain too much :)

1 comment: