Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzards, Black Holes, and Six Degrees

"New York won't be that bad. I'll be fine," said the naive, pre-NYC winterized version of myself back in July. Then last week happened when my beloved L train broke down and I had to walk 20 minutes back to my apartment. It was 6 degrees outside. Unfamiliar thoughts flooded my mind. Have I ever been in single digit temperature before? Could I have frostbite?.....because I seriously can't feel my toes. Desiring to be a quick learner, here are some of the observations I have made thus far.

1. Walk, don't drive. Yeah........a credit card to help the windshield isn't really going to cut it here.


















2. Proper gear is essential. I think the puffy coat is right up there with the screwdriver as one of the world's best inventions. I've even tested my cute wool coat to see how it compares. It doesn't come close! So even if I look like this.......








at least I'll be warm and toasty wearing my belted sleeping bag. It is after all gortex!



3. Icy Black Holes are lurking everywhere. You see an innocent puddle and think "oh it only looks about one inch deep." Beware. This is exactly what it wants you to believe right before you foolishly step into it and your entire boot disappears into the arctic abyss as you wonder, "is this liquid nitrogen?"











4. Eyes open and on the ground. What does snow do? Melt. Yes, Bon Jovi, it is indeed slippery when wet. Not looking I attempted to exit the subway car yesterday and stepped into a puddle. I ended up literally doing a split.... but don't worry I grabbed the pole and swung around while holding my position. Oh yes, equally scandalous and humiliating. But I held my head high, not meeting a single person in the eye as I composed myself and managed to say "whoopsy." Oh yes, that is the word which came to mind and I uttered. Awesome.

Spring come hither. I am ready for your warmth.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, you never know who you're influencing. I believe you have the power to change Manhattan, one "whoopsy" at a time ;-). Thanks for writing! PS -- Atlanta has a big city feel without all that pesky snow and ice (well, most of the time).

    ReplyDelete