Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bloody Knees but Happy Ears


I woke up yesterday morning to magic! Snowflakes were softly falling around me as I began my walk to the lovely L train. Like a little kid, I could barely contain my giddiness. I mean, I had my ipod playing Christmas music, and I was definitely walking with a pep in my step. This is what I’ve been waiting for…….snow! I wanted to proclaim this joy from the rooftops, so naturally I turned to Facebook to quickly update my status. I believe my direct quote was “Can life get any better? Pure contentment here.”

Then one minute later, I face-planted into the concrete. Oh yeah, it was a superman dive, where I skidded across the intersection. My stockings ripped gigantic holes where my pale freckled knees used to be. They quickly were transformed into bloody battle wounds from the streets of New York. Like a deer caught in headlights, I just sat there, “did this really just happen?” Oh and then as I’m trying to pull myself up, my puffy coat hindered my progress. Awesome. I felt like Randy in "A Christmas Story." Thankfully this woman behind me, scooped me up and held my shoulders as we walked at breakneck speed across the already green and cab-antsy intersection. She told me, “don’t worry, it happens to everyone.” Holding the tears back, I told her “but I tried to be a real New Yorker. I have my heels in my bag and wore my flats to the office today.” So I sincerely thanked her as I laughed to myself about my long-lasting “pure contentment” and I continued the trek to the L train walking with a limp, bloody knees and all. But I kept my Christmas music playing and the pep in my step slowly returned. Thank you kind stranger and Louis Armstrong…… you helped me more than you’ll ever know. (I also realize perhaps the perfect accessory to my puffy coat is the ever stylish snow boots…….goodbye ballet flats…..)

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAH.. I love you, Michelle! Pure joy to read your posts even if it's at the expense of your stockings, knees, and pride :) just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of laughed and cried at the same time when I read this.....;-). At least you can cook. Love from the McEntyres!

    ReplyDelete