Friday, September 17, 2010

New Home, New Life

A lot of people have been asking about how it has been the first few days. Thank you so much for caring. To be honest, I haven't really wanted to post anything since I guess I sort of had this expectation along with everyone else that it was going to be so exciting and amazing and I didn't want to disappoint anyone to tell the truth that it has been quite the opposite. Stressful and lonely are the two words that I would use to describe my time so far. From driving in the city, attempting several times to parallel park my u-haul, moving it multiple times to avoid a $250 ticket, waiting in the car alone for a few hours for the movers to come, movers trying and failing multiple times to fit the sofa in the apt, major miscommunication with people already, I could go on. I guess my expectations were it would be really exciting at first, then get hard, then get better. I'm just having to adjust and realize it has been really crappy at first and it has no where to go but up. There have definitely been some silver linings for sure. Brenda, the policewoman. She held up traffic for me for over half and hour to help me parallel park. I don't really know why I tried so hard since I can't even parallel my Jeep, but she eventually got in the U-haul herself and paralleled it for me. Incredibly kind woman. Then the sofa, while it was a huge headache and very stressful trying to figure out what to do with it, eventually I called the sofa doctor. Oh yes, that is his name. These 4 guys came over and literally took the back off the couch and put it back together again. Pretty amazing.
I think the thing that is the hardest is realizing I don't have friends yet. The best I can say to describe it is living in NYC is like everyone is running a marathon- no one is really going to slow down to teach you how to run and ask you to run with them- you just kind of have to start and I guess along the way, you do make friends and realize you are somewhat athletic. I know the Lord has me here for a reason and I do feel His presence in my life right now, it's just been a rocky beginning to my new life here.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Michelle. I know that has got to be so tough. God has brought you there and He will provide all you need. Friends will come...it just takes a while. I am learning that even in Brandon, MS! Love you and am praying for you!

    Love,
    Jennifer York

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    Thanks for giving me a good laugh on this Saturday afternoon! Sofa doctor...I can't say I have ever heard of one of those! Glad you are moved in, and I will be praying for you as you make this transition.
    With Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete