Thursday, February 11, 2010

Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of.........

So in case some of you haven't heard, I am moving to New York City, New York. It's kind of crazy how this has all happened. I have been working for Campus Crusade for Christ for 5 years now at the University of Georgia. I have absolutely loved my time and the girls there I have had the privilege to work with. However, this summer I attended our national conference out in Ft. Collins, Colorado where I heard leaders within our ministry speak about the needs in ten major cities of the world. I went to the seminar to support my friend Hannah talk about Miami, not at all thinking about how it would impact me. When I heard how many students were in New York, (over 1 million!) and thought about how influential this city was to our country, I knew I needed to begin praying for it. Over the next couple of months as I prayed for this city, I really felt the Lord leading to not only pray for it, but to go.

So here I am a few months later, preparing to move across the country to a city I've only visited once, selling my house in exchange for living in a tiny apartment, selling my beloved Snowball (jeep cherokee) and embracing public transportation, and becoming a freshmen again in a way since I will have no friends. In some ways it sounds completely crazy and painful, but I know it is what I am supposed to do, and therefore I know the Lord will give me the strength to do it. And, come on, it is New York, it's going to be a blast! Currently I am in the preparation stage, where I have taken time off at UGA to travel and meet with people who are interested in hearing more about my ministry and how they could be a part of it. So..........lots of driving. I hope this blog will be a great way to share stories of girls in the ministry in NYC and life upstate, but until then, this will probably contain random travel stories.

7 comments:

  1. YAY!!! SO glad you are here!! It was so great talking to you recently, and i'm THRILLED to get to follow you on your blog now :) I'm ready for some hilarious stories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Welcome to the world of blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michelle, I am so excited for you. I am considering traveling OT, and New York would definitely be one of my 3 month stops :)
    Mims

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exciting...Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You finally did it! This will be a fun way to keep up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man. I feel slightly defeated that I'm not the first comment on here, but I guess life will go on today. Welcome to this wonderful addiction. I'm sure you'll have a story or two to tell..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    I am so excited for you, and your adventure to the Big Apple! I look forward to reading your blog! Will be praying for you during the transition!

    ReplyDelete